Monday, March 1, 2010

The intentional life.

Are you living an intentional life? And most importantly, are you living an intentional life that is pleasing to the Lord? This is what the Lord has really laid on my heart as to what the "theme" for my family's life will be in 2010. I'm not a New Year's resolution kind of gal (hence the fact that it's March and I'm just now writing this post). I do love the thought of the new year bringing freshness, changes and self-evaluation though.

My hope is that throughout this year I can share with you ways the Lord is showing my family how to be more intentional with the various aspects of our lives, and to share some resources that are helping us pursue them. I know this won't go without struggles, and am quite positive this will be a lifelong process and not just a year-long one. But I'm excited to grow and change, and to do so with my family.

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:1-2

I came about this theme after being tired of living in a rut. Being tired of wanting to be somewhere else when I am forced to be in the present. And I was just plain tired of being discontent. Thinking that if this would happen, then I'd be happier. I began to ask myself, what are you going to do about it?

I knew I didn't want the answer to be buying more things or immersing our family into the land of busyness. Over the course of a couple of weeks I began to think about the thought of living a more intentional life. What does that look like? What does that mean?

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, intention means a determination to act a certain way. In my own words, to have a purpose behind it. I like how intend can mean to have in mind a purpose or goal. I find I am the type of person that life runs more smoothly for me if I have some sort of plan and routine that I'm following.

Are you being intentional with your children?
Are you being intentional with what you read to your children?
Are you being intentional with what toys are brought in to your home?
Are you being intentional with how you spend your time? (gulp)
Are you being intentional with how you spend your money? (double gulp)
Are you being intentional with what you read?
Are you being intentional with what you watch?
Are you being intentional with what you listen to?
Are you being intentional with how you celebrate holidays?
Are you being intentional with how you celebrate birthdays?
Are you being intentional with your job?
Are you being intentional with your spouse?
Are you being intentional with your family?
Are you being intentional with your friends?
Are you being intentional with your home?
Are you being intentional with God?
Are you being intentional with what you eat?
Are you being intentional with your physical health?
Are you being intentional with what you wear?
Are you being intentional with your words?
Are you being intentional with your talents?
Are you being intentional with the environment?

Wow. Seems like a lot of items on the list to self-examine, but as I've been beginning this journey, and if you journey with me, I think you'll realize they're all mostly connected. If I'm working on being intentional about what I am watching, I'm most likely going to be more intentional about what my child is watching. And if what I'm watching is wholesome and good for me, my thoughts and words are most likely going to be pleasing to God.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14.

Do you want to live a more intentional life? If so, I hope you'll join me on this journey. I look forward to the end of this year when I can compare notes and see how my family's life has changed from the beginning of 2010 to the end.

2 comments:

  1. Inspiring post! I need to do some self-evaluation, too. And beautiful family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. I like this new blog. And what great pictures you have! Are these professional? Madeline looks so much like you! And Noah like Lucas! I can't wait to meet Madeline someday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...