Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dreams of gratitude

Some days I sit on my couch feeling sorry for myself. As the children nap, I look around thinking of all of the things I'd change in our somewhat small rental house. Wondering if we made the right decision to move, as we fight the inefficient air conditioner that has our main living area set at 84 degrees.
And then I read this. And God wakes me up. Shakes me into seeing how good I have it, and how unbelievably ungrateful I can be. I love when He does that, and I dislike it all the same. Who wants to be told how ungrateful they are?
And I'm content for the day. Thanking God for ALL that He has given to us. The abundance we have. The food that fills our fridge and bellies, and the opportunity to go to the store to shop for more when necessary.
But sadly it might only last a day or two and I find myself back in that same place of discontentment. Why does that happen? I've realized it's a daily struggle for me right now. One of many reasons we are asked to call on Jesus every day. To be in His Word daily so we don't forget how much He has given us. Have you forgotten?
Don't get me wrong. I'm not unhappy. Just a girl with many dreams wondering how they're all going to happen. And as I wonder how those dreams are all going to happen and fall into place, God challenges me to wonder if those dreams are what I should be dreaming of in the first place? Afterall, He is the one "who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us..." (Ephesians 3:20). He wants more for my life than I can ever dream up.
So today I'm looking for the doors that God is opening, and perhaps closing, for our family. Doing my best to seek His Will daily in a world that constantly reminds me to seek my own. This is what the Lord says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." (Jeremiah 6:16). Oh to have rest for your soul.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Love and miss you. And L's bow tie out of M and M's is FABULOUS! I will be praying alongside you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne, what a beautiful family! Thank you for this post. It was such an encouragement to me to rely on God as we struggle with what he wants for our family (more kids or not, adoption or biological). I find it so difficult to know if my dreams are God's dreams for me. I think living day by day in contentment and reliance on Him, as you said, truly leads to peace. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...